With cross contamination being at the top of the list of infection issues that many hospitals face today it is more important than ever to reduce the incidence of avoidable harm.
We have prepared an infographic to demonstrate the 10 important reasons/benefits of using a single use laryngoscope system
There are many factors to be taken into consideration when choosing your preferred laryngoscope system however, below you will find answers to many of the questions that you may have:
- HOW CAN WE REDUCE THE RISK OF CROSS INFECTION?
As reusable instruments require thorough decontamination and re-sterilisation prior to each use, there is a potential risk of cross contamination if the instrument is not effectively cleaned.
With cross infection being a major concern throughout all aspects of medical care and the growing problems surrounding resilient virus strains and prions, guidance by the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI) indicates that single use devices are to be preferred (see Infection Control in Anaesthesia 2nd Edition, 2008).
Single use airway products are now seen as a vital part of combating infection risk in anaesthesia.
Please note that our single use laryngoscope systems are to be used once prior to disposal. They are not intended for repeated use.
2. WHAT SAVINGS CAN I EXPECT FROM USING A SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM?
There are many factors to take into consideration when evaluating the total cost of using reusable instruments including (but not limited to) the initial purchase of instruments and relevant decontamination/sterilisation equipment, ongoing maintenance, consumables, replacement of lost instruments, repairs to damaged instruments, increase in instrument stock to cover the duration of the process, transportation and staff costs.
3. CAN A SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM PROVIDE THE LIGHT THAT I NEED?
You can be assured of a bright light every time unlike with reusable laryngoscope systems that can deteriorate over time with continued reprocessing. The Timesco Callisto single use laryngoscope system is, on average, 3 x brighter than recommended in the ISO 7376 standard.
(1. Tested with a Timesco Callisto Macintosh size 3 blade and Timesco Callisto compact preloaded handle and measured 20mm from the tip of the blade.)
4. HOW STRONG IS A SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM?
The Timesco Callisto single use laryngoscope handle has a metal hook bar offering exceptional strength and exceeds the 15kg strength test recommended in the ISO 7376 standard.
2. Test conducted using the Timesco Callisto compact preloaded single use laryngoscope handle with a Timesco Callisto Macintosh size 3 blade.
5. ARE THERE ANY RECYCLING OPTIONS FOR THE TIMESCO CALLISTO SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM?
Timesco are pleased to be able to offer a number of recycling options for our single use products to help reduce the impact on the environment. Call us today on Tel: + 44 (0)1268 297 710 to discuss your requirements and to arrange a free quotation.
Let’s work together for a greener planet.
6. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO MAKE THE SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM READY FOR USE?
Simply receive, open, use and dispose. There is no need to reprocess or test our single use laryngoscopes prior to use as they are provided ready to use*.
*3. Callisto Preloaded System only.
7. ARE SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEMS BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
Single use laryngoscope systems result in low chemical use and a reduction in transportation required throughout their lifetime compared to reusable laryngoscope systems. There are fewer chemicals used due to eliminating the requirement for reprocessing and as the single use laryngoscope systems are disposed of after use, with recycling options, we are working towards a reduction in carbon footprint overall.
8. WILL A SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM BE AVAILABLE TO USE WHEN I NEED IT?
Providing a sufficient number of single use laryngoscope systems have been ordered, it will be available to use when you need it. There will be no waiting time for products to be reprocessed, no loss of products throughout a reprocessing process and no failure as a result of continued reprocessing.
9. HOW CAN A SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM SAVE US TIME?
The Timesco Callisto single use laryngoscope system will improve efficiency and save time currently spent on organising transportation, reprocessing, checking for deterioration post reprocessing and reassembling reusable laryngoscope systems.
10. HOW DO I POWER THE CALLISTO SINGLE USE LARYNGOSCOPE SYSTEM?
Timesco’s Callisto preloaded handles contain small button cell batteries that are easy to dispose of and mercury free ensuring that your single use laryngoscope handle is suitably and adequately powered and ready for use.